Books by Rob J. Quinn
Cover for Reach Past Your Limits Cover of The Birth of Super Crip Cover for Reach Past Your Limits

Exploring Motivation . . . with Tom Gibson, Hockey Coach

My friend Tom Gibson was good enough to allow me to interview him to kickoff “Exploring Motivation,” a series that is meant to highlight different perspectives on what motivates us all and hopefully offers some fun posts. My goal is to continue what I started with my new e-book, Reach Past Your Limits, and help readers find true motivation.

Tom and I after we did the video for
his favorite exercise.
I’ve known Tom my entire life. He’s always been an active guy, now staying busy with his young kids, coaching hockey at the St. Augustine Prep JV Program, and a full-time career. He has also held public office in Mount Holly, New Jersey, including serving as mayor. I wanted to know what really drives him.

“From my family to work and coaching, I love staying busy,” Tom said via e-mail. “I was an elected public official for six years, and feel that everyone should take on some role in the community.” 

Tom told me he’s coached hockey at various age levels over the last 20 years. Having heard stories of youth leagues struggling to keep coaches after their own kids move on from a program, I asked Tom why he stayed with coaching. “I played hockey beginning at the age of nine through my sophomore year in college at Merrimack,” he said. “After college I wanted to give back to the game I loved so I began coaching. My passion to be a good Dad and to share my experiences as a coach are a few things that drive me.”

As a writer, I often think of young people as I work on a blog post or a longer piece. I want to offer something worthwhile for them to think about in a way that helps them do things better than I did. Coaches have opportunities to talk to young players with the same idea in mind. I was curious what advice Tom gives players struggling with their game.

“I always tell my players hard work will never be discounted,” he said. “If you always work hard, you can achieve anything!”

Despite everything he has going on, Tom takes the time to exercise regularly. So, I asked Tom to show me his favorite exercise. We had an opportunity to get together and answer the question on video. Check it out below:

 


I want to thank Tom for helping me launch this series. I hope to continue “Exploring Motivation” with another interview soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bullies in the Mainstream

Bullies in the Mainstream (Part II)

Fall 2023 in Pictures