Books by Rob J. Quinn
Cover for Reach Past Your Limits Cover of The Birth of Super Crip Cover for Reach Past Your Limits

Retro Rob: My “Top 5 Books”

Summer is right around the corner, a time when a lot of people love lounging on the beach with a good book. In preparation, I thought I’d continue my “Retro Rob” series as I celebrate the upcoming 20th anniversary of my first blog post with my list of “Top 5 Books” first published in September of 2016. Remember, I’d love to get you involved in the discussion. My “Top 5 Movies” list generated a couple great comments, and I hope to hear from more people on both lists.

King's novel 11/22/63 on my bookshelf
My somewhat worn copy of 11/22/63.

My mom tells me all the time that I don’t read enough – and she’s right. Somehow, I’ll get into a groove with reading, but if I come across a book I just don’t like I get off track. I’ve read zero books in almost a year. But the one change I would definitely make to my list would be to add Stephen King’s 11/22/63. As I mentioned, I’m not an avid reader, but I couldn’t put down the time-travel thriller focused on the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. For me, it would take the top spot on my list, but at the moment I wouldn’t merely push the others back and drop the 5th book off the list. I’d ax number 2 from my list below, and simply slide back the previous top choice.

Why ruin the suspense by putting the titles? Read most of my original post below:

The hardest part of compiling a Top 5 list of books for me is simply remembering the books I’ve read. It’s not that I’m such an avid reader that the list is just too long. Despite an admonishment from a college professor that I’d never do well if I didn’t read everything at least twice, I’ve never read anything twice unless it was assigned in two separate semesters (and did just fine). Even if I had I’m not sure I’d have much more of a mental list to pull on, but it might have helped.

That said, I figured a criteria of books that still stand out in my mind more than a year after reading them as particularly good was a perfect rule for my list.

So, here’s my Top 5 Books:

5. A Christmas Carol (Charles Dickens) – I read this book in the 10th grade and have loved the story since. I make a point to watch the film version every December, but it all started with the book. All the knock-off versions make it clear this is the best fictional Christmas story ever written.

4. No Pity: People with Disabilities Forging a New Civil Rights Movement
 (Joseph Shapiro) – Reading this book was an experience. It was the first time I got a glimpse of the disability community as a real entity with a history and common experiences. In that regard, nothing has ever approached this book.

3. The Tipping Point
 (Malcolm Gladwell) – Simply put, this is the most insightful book I’ve ever read. As I wrote in my review, it offers some amazing perspectives into psychology, history, pop culture, and group dynamics, just to name a few subjects covered in the absorbing, readable language.

2. The Five People You Meet in Heaven (
Mitch Albom) – Panned by many due to its sentimentality, this was a very original and truly touching story.

1. The Da Vinci Code (
Dan Brown) – Dan Brown’s novel is easily the best I’ve ever read. Again, from my review, this novel continuously shocks a reader with historical facts — albeit disputed facts — that are so enthralling they render the plot secondary.

Feel free to agree or disagree with any or all of my selections, and, more importantly, add your own list of Top 5 Books in the comments section. Don’t hesitate to add your own creative angle such as a list of Top Summer Books of All Time, Top 5 Suspense Novels, or other ideas.

Once again, I’m glad to see I was encouraging readers to comment all those years ago. Even if you just want to add a favorite book or two, please do so in the comments section.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bullies in the Mainstream

Bullies in the Mainstream (Part II)

Fall 2023 in Pictures